Thursday, February 3, 2011

the beast with two backs


How awesome is this? Have to believe that this is ladybird love and not just one ladybird getting all road rage with another. I've been amazed at how many ladybirds have flocked to my zucchini plant, the one of wrote of in my last post was obviously the scouting party! You can see in this shot how much they've enjoyed feasting on the leaves, plus in the background is the second flush of Hula Lady at Sunset. I feel a real kinship with these little beauties as I'm snapping off the zucchini bounty they leave behind. For a first attempt with zucchini, I am thrilled with the results and am now in the thick of a zucchini cuisine crusade. A personal favourite is Zucchini Slice, a recipe perfected by my fabulous mother-in-law which is perfect for lunch or light dinners, especially on days as stinking hot as this.


You need:
3 decent zucchinis, grated and preferably homegrown - I feel entitled to gloat!
1/2 cup oil of your choice
5 eggs
1 cup SR flour
1 cup grated cheese
1 onion
3 bacon rashers or equivalent of ham
Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
2 grated carrots
Salt and Pepper
Ground Cumin

Mix oil and eggs, add the flour and then mix in all the other ingredients, slap in a loaf tin, lined with baking paper. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180degrees C for 45mins or until cooked through. Serve with a flourish and a handpicked green salad just because you can and aren't afraid of being called a show-off.


No comments:

Post a Comment